Day 6: Paris, France


We hopped on the Eurostar to Paris (SO. COMFORTABLE)! We realized our train to Paris would leave earlier than anticipated so we couldn't go to the London Museum of History like I wanted, oh wells.

The day started off to a great start when, upon packing up to leave, Halim made a big mess at our London hostel.

The first mission was to find our hostel: FRIENDS HOSTEL on Rue La Chapelle located in the Montmartre area. My dear friends, please NEVER go there. The hostel is not bad but it is located in the sketchiest, most ghetto and dangerous looking area of Paris. I swear I saw a drug deal happen before my very eyes! There are clusters of police located on every block - it's SCARY. I'll feel safer at Jane & Finch.

We met up with Swati at the hostel and proceeded to go to the beautiful Sacre Coeur (we couldn't go to any of the good areas yet).

After a small climb, we got to the top where I was greeted by all my fans who all crowded around to see me on the staircase. This was a significant place because it's where Swati got her first Eurotrip stalker, this creep guy who hit on her and introduced himself with this pickup line: "I saw you outside and I followed you in here."

I JUMPED PLACE VENDOME COLUMN. We got off at Opera station and walked around the area towards the Seine River

I JUMPED PLACE DE LA CONCORDE. This used to be a famous execution site. Yeah...but I like it cos its purdy.

The prettiest bridge ever, Pont Alexandre III. We saw the Grand Palais and Petit Palais on the way and played around for a bit before crossing this bridge.

A view of the sparkling eiffel tower and the Seine River from the bridge. Yah, I can see how Paris looks like a romantic place and all... but I don't think so at all!!! Don't be fooled into coming here for your honeymoon

We took the metro to La Defense, which is the business district located on the outer edge of Paris. This is where all the highrise buildings are located, including this huge ugly piece of architecture called le Grande Arche. That's original. The area reminded me of a more open version of downtown T.O.

On our way back to the hostel we got off to get a glimpse of the famous Arc de Trimophe at night. That was the end to the best night in Paris


Day 7: Paris II

First thing in the morning, we returned to the Arc and crossed like 8 traffic lanes - with crazy French drivers speeding around the circle - to get to the middle area (little did we know there was an underground tunnel you could take to get there without having to risk your lives)

We got on the tour bus and saw all of Paris. We passed by the Eiffel Tower and LOOK HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE THERE? Damn you famous tourist attraction!

Tour d'Eiffel, bitches.

It sucked cos they don't let you go on the only grassy area you can find in all of Paris. P.S. WHY IS EVERYTHING, THE ROADS, EVERYWHERE, SAND AND GRAVEL? Those who made the fatal mistake of wearing flip flops had white feet by the end of the day

We walked to the Notre Dame cathedral and waited in this super long line to pay 5 euros to climb the tower (it was better than the line to enter the actual cathedral). It was a killer climb, not because of the fatigue but because it was scary as hell. These are the gargoyles from atop the Notre Dame (please don't come to life!)

I CONQUERED THE NOTRE DAME! I understand now why Quasimodo has a huntchback... he had to climb that stupid tower everyday

No one wanted to eat authentic French food cos it was expensive (I was outnumbered!) so instead we ate cheap food. We understood now why it was so cheap. Swati literally saw them take food out of a can, put it in the bowl and microwave it. She took this picture as proof

This is the result of my microwaved food. Can anyone say CHEF BOYARDEE??

We walked to the Louvre and I was truly excited. If Robert Langdon could see me now...

I JUMPED THE LOUVRE, oh yes I did. This place, formerly the Tuileries Palace, is extremely stunning and oh yes... very sandy! We didn't go in because it was closed so we hung out at the fountains which was the MOST relaxing period of my trip.

We headed back to the Eiffel Tower at night to get a view from the top at the best time. Or so we thought... there were still HORDES of people there, took a solid 30-40 minutes to get onto the lift alone. Took even longer to get down. Oh yes, this is where we lost Jackie.

This was the longest, most tiring day of them all and I thought my legs were going to die at this point.


Day 8: Versailles, France

We took a train to Versailles which was pretty relaxing and I would've had an epic nap if people weren't so fascinated with taking pictures of me sleeping all the time.

After a short walk, we got to CHATEAU DE VERSAILLES, the most extravagant palace that you'll ever see in your lifetime. As you know, this used to be the place of residence for all the monarchs of France, including the famous yet tragic queen, Marie Antoinette

The entrance is plastered in gold. Oh yeah! Well my door has a door knob that is painted with a golden colour...

The two storied cathedral within the palace, aka crazy shit went down here!!

A view of the garden that goes on forever and ever. It's a shame we didn't get to go to Marie Antoinette's petit trianon and visit the rest of the gardens (did I mention it goes on FOREVER?)

The "Hall of Mirrors" the prettiest place in the entire palace

Marie Antoinette's bedroom. This is where she got freaky (eventually) with Louis!!!

Art Gallery which is a super cool place. We spent a lot of time here listening to all of the stories behind these paintings


The end of the day! Versailles just goes on and on and it really does take more than a day to explore every inch of the palace. I look forward to coming back


Day 9: Paris III

LOUVRE TIME! I'm not going to post up the artwork cos it will probably bore you guys, so I will post up the more interesting and famous stuff.

nike = VICTORY! Does looking at this give you the urge to buy running shoes?

The Mona Lisa. It's arguably the most famous painting in the world, and it's probably been talked about to death after the Da Vinci Code became famous... but here it is! Don't come to the Louvre if you only want to see it, because you'd benefit more from looking at an artbook - it'll be bigger that's for sure

Every time I look at this, the Viva La Vida intro plays in my mind. Yes, it's from the Coldplay album cover but it's also a famous piece of artwork by Delacroix called "Liberty Leading the People" (if art interests you, here's an interesting fact: Delacroix painted himself into the photo - he's the dude in the top hat)

Keep me here please!

Last awesome thing we got to see: VENUS DE MILO! Reminds anyone else of Homer Simpson eating the green candy?


This is the piece of artwork I had to enjoy for half an hour instead of the Louvre. I really liked the Louvre but we didn't have much time to spend there because the girls wanted to go shopping. If I didn't have to buy the sister-in-law her Louis Vuitton bag, I would've definitely stayed.


Summary

What I learned about Paris: EVERYWHERE IS SANDY! It's ridiculous. Grow some grass that people can actually walk on! And also, don't roam Rue La Chapelle at night because that's what me and Jackie did and I was scared for my life. Actually, don't go to Rue La Chapelle at all if you know what's good for you.
Rating: 8/10. I gave it a rating of 7 and I don't remember why I left this place with such a negative feeling. Maybe I do. But thinking again, j'adore Paris and I think it's a lovely city. When you go there, it's definitely not what you expected from movies. It's not as romantic and people aren't that fashionable, it's just a normal city where people live which happens to have awesome pieces of architecture. Then again, how romantic can it get backpacking with a big group of dirty people? Touche.


2 Comments

cluk said...

ahaha! Only one person listened to your instruction and pointed at the towel.

Lilian said...

Paris was a blast! =)