Dear __________,
You may have noticed that I have deleted you off my facebook. You probably haven't.
I want to let you know that you hurt me. I considered you a good friend before I left for Korea and I would like to know what changed over the year. You've always been the person to tell me your problems and I was always there for you at your lowest. I enjoyed our late night conversations, but I always wondered if you just came to me because you considered me a "bad influence." Maybe you told me things you felt guilty about because you know I wouldn't judge you like your other friends would. Even if that is the case, I am glad you felt comfortable around me enough to confide in me.
All year, you said you couldn't wait to see me when I came back. Was that just pleasantries? On several occassions, I tried to meet up with you with no answer or no reply. I understood we both had busy lives and we were both in and out of the country at the time, but we couldn't schedule one late night coffee shop meeting? It became ridiculous. You did not answer your texts or facebook messages.
Then, I texted, "You are an awful friend."
FINALLY, I get a response. But the response was not like, "I know, I'll try to make it up to you, I just have some serious stuff going on right now" to which I would reply, "I'm so sorry, I hope everything is okay and I'll speak to you soon okay?"
The response was, "Maybe but I have bigger problems to deal with like ____ in the hospital"
That came out of nowhere. Using guilt as a weapon is a dangerous thing. It hurts friendships. When people are sick, you don't use that as an excuse to make people feel sorry for you muchless make people feel guilty.
If you were so busy, then why do I constantly see you messaging others on twitter, facebook, and posting things about Vancouver Canucks? You obviously have your priorities, but if you are going to use your family issues to justify not being able to answer one text message, then maybe you are an awful friend.
Don't you just hate it when you hang out with a person and they are always on their phones messaging other people? But when you try to contact them or message them, they are suddenly unreachable? Blackberry users are the worst.
When you came back to the country, you texted me to let me you know you were back and you haven't forgotten about me. This was in June. I haven't heard from you since.
I have a lot of things to talk to you about too. I have a busy schedule too but it's all about making that effort. If you couldn't spare 2 hours of your life for a coffee chat, that's fine, but not being able to spare 2 seconds to message back after my many fruitless efforts to contact you? Not cool.
Sincerely,
M
Post a Comment