Yesterday we celebrated my birthday at Le Nordik spa and I think we can both say it was a much-needed celebration for us. For a Monday, it was fairly busy but comfortable enough to occupy your own secluded space away from others. It's been a couple of years since we visited and the last time was in the dead of winter in -40 degree weather, so it was nice to experience this on such a beautiful, sunny day.
They added a new section with a nice lounge, additional pools and a terrace where they serve food and drinks. We relaxed in the silent area on an outdoor swinging bed under a huge canopy and the ambiance was so relaxing - it really felt like we were in the Nordiks. As I rested, I couldn't help but wish our daughter was there sleeping with us. Maybe I can take her on a mother-daughters spa day when she turns 12. It was a peaceful day and we definitely left well-rested, although I still choose some adventure over lying around in the sun and doing nothing all day.
Mike got me a cake from The Girl With the Most Cake and it was by far the most beautiful cake I've ever gotten. Way prettier than my own wedding cake. Also way more expensive than any cake I've ever gotten. She must be a master at getting buttercream icing to be so smooth because she doesn't use fondant at all. Everything on the cake except for the M was edible. Inside was a dulce de leche filling. The cake itself had a fantastic taste but the cake itself was a bit dry so it was only optimal to eat the first day. I refused to cut it because it was too beautiful.
He got me a (better quality) ukulele for my birthday present that I am completely in love with. Not sure how I will find time to play it but hopefully I get some downtime in my mat leave to at least practice!
Charis gave me an Instant Pot and after using it to make congee today, I am completely infatuated with it. I used this recipe from Amy + Jacky and substituted with bone-in chicken thighs and added some chicken bouillon for extra flavor. I washed some rice, added ginger, raw chicken thighs (blanched first in cold water), water, chicken bouillon, set for 30 minutes and left to take care of my baby. When I came back, I put it on saute to cook until it was thicker, added salt and pepper et voila! - delicious and virtually effortless congee. Next, going to sterilize my baby bottles and pump equipment with my Instant Pot!



Post a Comment