I find that conversations are becoming less and less substantial. We talk but we're not really saying anything. We hear but we're not really listening. Instead of engaging in a story someone is telling you, we are too busy formulating in our minds what we want to say next. Or even worse, we are too busy checking our text messages over our Blackberries instead of giving the person next to you the time of day.
Do you think I am joking? The next time you are with your group of friends and there is a lull in the conversation, just take the moment and observe everyone around you. They are all on their cellphones.

It's not the Blackberries that are ruining our generation, it's the users.
Here is my challenge to you, Hipsters of the modern age: Put away your cellphones when you are out with your friends. Everytime you hear the text tone, ignore it! The world is not going to end if you don't read and reply to your text messages right away. And I don't even know why I have to say this, but STOP TEXTING WHEN YOU ARE DRIVING. It's ridiculously stupid and dangerous, and I swear upon God no text message is so important that you must sacrifice your safety and the safety of drivers around you.
The next time you ask a friend, "How are you?," actually listen to their answer without retreating to your cellphone. No wonder people feel so lonely these days. They are surrounded by people yet none of them are really listening.
One Comment
WELL SAID!
Post a Comment