When I look at my close lady friends, I realize how far away they are. They are scattered throughout the world. Charis is in Vancouver. Leah is in England. Alex is in Boston. Ira is in Indonesia. Becky is in Calgary. Even locally, my friends are at the opposite ends of Mississauga or in the boonies of North York and Markham (except for you, P.)
I never had a close group of lady friends and it makes me sad. I don't have much of a female influence on my life but it would have been nice to learn how to properly apply make-up. Maybe I would have picked up a sense of fashion. I could have an interest in shoes and learn how to wear heels without wanting to take them off after an hour. We could've baked things together and have slumber parties and talk about our emotions.

This could've been me!
I hate it when girls say they prefer hanging out with guys. I ask, WHY? Sure, they like to do fun things and there never is needless drama but that is just about it. Girls, even the "one of the guy" girls have drama and when they do, a guy will never be there for you emotionally when you need them the most (unless they are trying to hit on you). They will never be able to find the right words to say like girls do to make you feel at ease. However, you can count on them distancing themselves until the drama is over. Then they ask, "Hey, are you okay now?"
It wasn't until now that I realized how much being a girl could be so awesome. There is no repression of emotion, girls hug each other and get excited for each other and be there for each other. The average girl doesn't put each other down or act like jerks or ditch each other. Girls have meaningful conversations. On birthday cards, girls will fill up every inch of empty space with words of love and encouragement while guys just sign their names if they even bother getting you a card at all. You can even count on your enemy girl friend to show up at your party than your closest guy friend.
I really wish I had a group of girl friends but I am so bloody thankful that I have these special ladies in my life. They bring a diverse set of personalities and unique idiosyncrasies that make my life ever so much more fulfilling. Thank you ladies, whoever you may be, for your moral support, your late night phone conversations, your riddles and funny anecdotes, your "Lovely!"s, your adventurous spirits, your midnight McDonald cravings, your horrible cooking that makes me need to poop, for thinking of me every time you see Spiderman, for being an amazing travel partner, for bringing me closer to God and for your love and cupcakes.
I am a girl's girl.
Post a Comment